Saturday, March 30, 2013

1/2713 - 2/2/13

This week marked my first day of working in the office. Coming into it I did not really know what to expect. I wondered how much I can actually help or contribute being a lowly intern. Turns out, they like to keep you busy and learning at all times. When I first got there I learned my way around the computer system and how to log on. Then I was separating tickets and organizing them but name to prepare them to be picked up at will call for Saturday's upcoming game. After that task, I was sent by Jason Jones, the director of ticket sales of the Worcester Sharks, to deliver fliers to schools in Mendon, MA. When I first received the orders, I was a little confused and felt as though it was a "typical intern job". Thinking more critically about it, Jason knows what he is doing. The Sharks have won awards for their excellence in selling tickets. Schools are such a vulnerable place to sell tickets because there are so many kids that go to a school, and all of those kids have parents or guardians. This is one of the ways they get group ticket sales. When I got back from my short trip, I was to help Brett Sawin, the Community Development Coordinator for the Sharks. Brett had me going through the donation requests that the received and that they have already acted upon and keep track of what we sent to each organization. I learned a lot more about Brett's title in completing this task as I was starting to understand the importance of creating a relationship between the organization and the community.

On Saturday, the Providence Bruins were in town again, looking to defeat the Sharks at home for the second straight week. This was a special night at the DCU Center, as it was "Pink in the Rink" night. It was to raise awareness of breast cancer. The Sharks wore pink jerseys and the ice was pink too! The jerseys were sold in a silent auction and proceeds went to breast cancer research. It was a great event to be a part of.

This week I was in charge of operating the Kid's Club located on the concourse of the DCU Center. The Kid's Club is a table where anyone can go to, pay a dollar to spin the wheel, and win the prize it lands on. It is a little corny but it is similar to supervising the Shootout Booth in the sense that it brings a smile to kids' faces, creates memories, and is selling the experience. Also involved in Kid's Club is trying to sell the Kid's Club membership to parents. Up selling is one of my stronger suits based on my past work experience. The membership gets a kid a Sharks shirt, bracelet, plastic megaphone, a free spin of the wheel, and a check list that every ten times they visit the table, they get a free ticket to a game...all for only $10! Selling the membership came pretty easy for me. The incentive is to sell five memberships and you get $5. I ended up selling eight! Everyone was impressed with my up selling and congratulated me on reaching the incentive. The Sharks lost again 2-0 and don't have another home game for three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment